Sunday 18 August 2013

Keeping Track of Where Your ISK Is

jEveAssets is an asset manager for Eve written in Java (hence the j). It's the tool I use to keep track of my assets, how much ISK I have, where it's invested, what it's invested in and which character(s) everything is on. In fact it's the only market tool I use unless you count EveMon as a market tool.

jEveassets has a bunch of "Tools" menu items, each of which open tabs that display a lot of information in various different formats. I mostly use 3 tool tabs, Values, Tracker and ISK.

Values gives an overall snapshot of how much ISK you have and where it is in general (wallet, escrow, assets, etc) right now. It show's Grand Totals and per character / corporation. The screenshots I post in my monthly financial reports are the top half of the Grand Totals section of the Values tab.

Tracker gives grand totals info over time in graph format. It's terrific for tracking trends like how quickly your wealth is growing and whether growth is accelerating or slowing down. I post screenshots of Tracker sometimes too. Note you can delete data points from the graph by double clicking a point.

Both Values and Tracker are handy and for a long time they're all I used but as I got bigger the ISK tab kept getting more and more useful. Now I use it all the time to help me decide which characters to log onto in what order and what to do on each of them.

The ISK tab gives a lot of useful information on a character by character basis all presented in a nice column sortable list.

Click to Enlarge

Note there is another column to the left with the characters' names, a row for each character. I didn't include that name column because I don't want the names of my characters made public. That'd be bad for business (my business that is, not ganker business).

Double clicking any of the column headers (Total, Wallet Balance, etc.) will select that column. Once selected the column can be sorted with a single click. You can sort in ascending order (lowest value at the top) or descending order (highest at the top). To toggle between ascending and descending order just click the header again.

You can also rearrange the order of the columns simply clicking and dragging the headers.

I find the Wallet Balance, Assets, Sell Orders and Escrows columns particularly useful.

Wallet Balance is great for seeing which characters have too much or too little ISK and figuring out where to shift ISK around between characters.

Assets is great for seeing which characters have a lot of stock that needs posting and depending on whether it's a station trader or a regional trader may need transport too.

Sell Orders tells me which characters have the most stock listed. That helps me decide which characters I need to update orders on to sell things faster or maybe I'm sending too much stock to a particular location.

Escrow tells me how much I have invested into buy orders on each station. A character with low escrow numbers usually means I need to post more buy orders. The ones with zero in escrow, either aren't traders or are traders in training (they don't have Margin Trading V or enough orders yet).

There are more tabs not shown in the screenshot above, the 6 that are shown are the ones I find by far the most useful.

To ensure you're working with good price data open the Options menu and check the settings under price data. I suggest setting it to use Jita prices as in the screenshot below but if you aren't on Jita and Jita isn't part of your trade empire you might be better off using data from somewhere else.


Just make sure it isn't set to something silly, like some un-populated system way out in the middle of nowhere nullsec.

The midpoint setting as far as I can tell seems to use a price midway between sell and buy prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment